So, yeah, the blog's named what it is for a reason.
I spent a good 90 minutes at the University of Maryland's Performing Arts Library last night, with two different copies of Klara Semb's "Norse Folkdance." One was the 1951 translation, which ended up being more of a 40-page pamphlet containing only some background material on the kinds of dances, and then about four tunes and dances. The other was the 1925 edition of her book, in Norwegian.
I combed through it, looking at all the music for a tune that matched "Rolandskvaet." Nope, nada, zilch. There were two tunes labeled "faeryosk" (Faroese) and I dutifully copied them down to compare at home, but no love.
Yes, well. I was looking at the 1925 edition of volume one of her book. There are four volumes, apparently, all with the same primary title and then subtitles to distinguish them. This was not clear to me until after I got home. The tune for Roland is supposed to be in the second volume.
The second volume is in the Library of Congress. I've gone to the LoC before for concerts; it would be an entire evening to get into the city, register as a reader, view the book and get out, but I could do it. Alternately, it's an afternoon to get my UMD Alumni card its library bar code, then submit an ILL request to have the book sent there. Either option is really pushing at the limits of my curiosity vs time spent curve, re: the tune source, but my inability to overlook such things may mean I'll track it down eventually. In the meantime, I'll go with the Trio Medieval tune that I like and compare it to my current lyrics.
Also, I picked up a bunch of PVC pipe, drill bits and files. The nice man at the Home Depot even cut the ten-foot lengths into one-foot pieces for me! We'll see where that goes with the bone flute project. (Speaking of... I got a few more toots out of my pen version, and got a change in tone from the fingerhole I'd made. But I can't reliably pick it up and make sound on it. Finding the right combination of pen/mouth angle and embouchere is hard.)