In February, I collected some information on Anglo-Saxon seat cushions. I wish I'd left myself a breadcrumb about where that document I made is, because it doesn't seem to be on my hard drive or in my Google Drive. I was thinking back then of weaving the fabric for the cushion, but in the run-up to Pennsic I found a pretty diamond-weave upholstery fabric remnant:
And I made a seat cushion cover out of it:
The side seams are covered with an attempt at herringbone stitch (first time I've tried it) - I recall those being mentioned as a cushion seam treatment, maybe in conjunction with the Sutton Hoo burial, but I confess I didn't go and find my source first. If I were keenly interested in authenticating this pillow, that would be a bad mistake.
However, I did remember a historical pillow that was shaped - it had oval/teardrop side panels. I wasn't interested in try to do that, so I'm already ahistorical. Add my fold-over flap on the bottom (to keep the pillow from crawling out of the seat cover) that I can't authenticate at all, and I'm pretty firmly in ten-foot rule land anyhow. (Oh, and it feels like it's polyester, like upholstery fabric usually is.)
I handsewed the edges with a blanket stitch to prevent fraying, using white linen thread. The fabric is so thick, I didn't want to fold over the edges. I handsewed up the sides with running and backstitches. I placed the herringbone stitches in blue silk over the seams. I did fold under the edges of the pillow-keeper flap - I had to, or else they wouldn't line up with the outside edges of the pillow (which had seam allowance folded in). I thought about putting some trim along the edge of the flap, but found it hard to justify decorating a piece of the cover which will always be underneath the work. If it starts to fray, I'll revisit that.
I think it looks really good, actually. The edges are neat and even, the embroidery adds just a subtle splash of color, and the fabric is way better than the cushion cover I had been using.