Inspired by a downright cold camping trip at Red Mountain Mead Hall, I thought I'd nalbind a hat. Since I still have a bunch of roving, I thought I'd also spin the yarn for it. Now, I don't want to be nalbinding this hat forever. A thicker yarn would be okay. But I have having trouble spinning as thick as I wanted! So I decided to spin a sort of medium-ish weight (I suppose I should learn yarn-speak) and then ply it. I did that today, for a small amount of yarn that will surely not be enough.
It actually went fairly smoothly. I spun the singles on a low whorl, so I plied on a high whorl. I put the two skeins of singles, just pulled off the spindle, into a bowl to contain them, drew up the two yarns, and spun them together. I didn't handle the high whorl spindle the same as I do for the actual spinning - I seem to have trouble doing grasped spinning with so little spindle up at the top. But the yarns wanted to spin together, so I just had to help things along, doing a sort of supported spindle thing on my leg.
The two-ply yarn is now on the niddy-noddy waiting to be put into a hot soak.
I finally got around to spinning the flax I got at the Yorktown Victory Center. Oy. The long staple is hard to manage. I'm spinning it finer than anything I've done so far, which is cool, but I'm having problems drafting. I am using water, which helps. Not sure how much of the problem is the fiber preparation (pretty rough) and how much of the problem is my inexperience. Anyhow, did a bit and have put it down for the day - no use getting frustrated.