Sometimes, I sell myself short when it comes to determining the difficulty of creating a performance. "Oh, it's not hard. I read a period story, play with it a little, and tell it in my own words."
Yah. Well. I reread my two main sources for 'The Tale of Guðrún' today, and was suprised at some of the ways it varied from the story as I now tell it. And when I thought about it, I could see that in 80-90% of the cases, the changes I had made specifically served the slightly different point of view and narrative goal that I had chosen. (A little bit here and there was oversight, small details I'd forgotten.)
And hey. I actually had a few different motifs running through the piece, some purposeful repetitions and callbacks, and an honest-to-goodness artistic purpose. Sometimes, I'm writing to spec: write a song about this theme, use that form, those images, turn the crank and go. This actually fits with the broader themes of... hey wait, I already wrote that post under 'Performance-Based Research.' Okay, never mind. Moving on.
I've put the beat analysis under a cut, because it's a wall of text. I'm even going to go into the HTML and try to put in the lj-cut.